Active Directory is the Microsoft solution to managing business infrastructure
Why is it helpful for your organization?
- Central location for all user accounts across the organization
- Organization-wide management of all network-connected computers
- Management of network resources like DHCP (automatic IP leases), DNS (memorable names for IP addresses)
- A place to set and proliferate organizational security policies
- Other options, like "roaming profiles" where users can access their same files on any domain-connected computer
Here's a short video explaining the basics of Windows domain networks, Active Directory and group policies.